Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tasty Tuesday -- Chicken Chili


Its been a minute since I've done a food post so I figured I would share my delicious chicken chili recipe. My husband and I both thought that it was soooo delicious. I don't know why I haven't made it before now (no being a couple months ago). The recipe I 'copied' is from Paula Deen's White Bean Chicken Chili, but I made some modifications that turned out perfectly for me!

Ingredients & Directions

1 lb of chicken breast, diced up and lightly seasoned (I prefer cajun seasoning)
1/2 of onion, chopped
*3/4 of red pepper, chopped
1 tbsp. of minced garlic
2 tbsp. of chili powder
1 tbsp. of red pepper flakes (for a bit of spice)
2 tbsp. of dried oregano
1 tbsp. of cumin
*1 tbsp. of black pepper
*4 cups of chicken stock (or 4 bouillon cubes)
*1 1/2 cup of heavy cream
1 can of navy beans
*1/2 cup of flour ----> Roux
*4 tbsp of olive oil --> Roux

*where modified from Paula Deen

First, I lightly sauteed the garlic, onions and red peppers in olive oil in a big pot. Then I added the lightly seasoned and diced chicken breast into the pot and let the chicken cook for maybe 1 minute (basically the time that it took me to open and drain the can of beans).

Then I added 4 cups of water and 4 bouillon cubes and the can of navy beans. After the water and beans were in, I added the chili powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, cumin, black pepper and heavy cream. I let this cook on medium-high for maybe 10 minutes.

Next, in a small saucepan, I heated 4 tbsp. of olive oil and then added 1/2 cup of flour to it. I kind of eyeballed this. I didn't want it too runny nor did I want it too thick and dough-like....so I may have had to add a couple more drops of oil to the flour.

Once my roux was like the perfect gravy consistency, I added it to the pot and let everything cook for about 15-20 more minutes on a low to medium heat level.

Serve with your vegetable of choice. Asparagus was my veggie of choice.
I guarantee you will enjoy!


Red Velvet Cupcake wine.

I love my vino!

This whine was actually really good....not too sweet and not too dry. It smelled and sort of tasted like it too. Nothing overpowering but just enough to make me really like it.


Let me know how you like it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming by my little corner of blog land! I love comments and conversation so you're welcome to share your thoughts! It'll make my day!